We are in 2022 now. So, I am very sure that, by now, you must have heard the word “cloud computing” or “cloud ” at least 10000 times 😛 .
Am I right or Am I right ? 😛
Now a days, organizations are also looking for people, who are well versed with cutting edge technologies. For example –Cloud Computing, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence etc.
Especially, As a result of pandemic, cloud is the way to go for everyone. In fact, It won’t be wrong to say that we are surviving without going out due to cloud computing.
So, tell me- Isn’t it a good idea to make ourselves aware of the ongoing trends to stay updated and relevant?
Of course, It is !!!
But, before I start, let me ask you a question.
Have you ever looked at sky thinking, where data is stored, when you heard the word “cloud” for the very first time?
To be honest, I did 😛 😛
If you are like me, comment to let me know that I am not the only one 😛
Well, today I will try my best to give you a basic overview of cloud computing. If you have any doubt, please feel free to add a comment, I will answer them as soon as possible.
What is Cloud?
In simple words If I say, cloud is nothing but the set of computer/servers which can be accessed over internet.
Those servers are located in various data centers across the world.
Let’s understand it this way.
If you store your data in your computer. It’s called local storage. But if you store it in a server provided by someone else. It’s called storing in cloud.
You, as a user, need not manage that computer/server physically. But you can use it from anywhere in the world. Provided, you have an active internet connection.
“For example,Most of us sync our phone with google photos. The benefit: you may loose your phone but not your photos.“
Have you ever thought, what’s the reason behind it?
Well, It’s very simple.
Those photos are stored in the cloud as a backup. You can access them from anywhere in the world.
After getting a basic idea of cloud, let’s dive into details.
What is Cloud computing?
In simple terms, cloud computing is the availability of computing resources such as storage, servers, databases, software applications etc. over internet.
- As cloud services provide pay as you go model,you only pay for the services that you use and nothing else.
- It helps in lowering overall operational cost by cutting the need of procuring all the required infrastructure in advance.
- You can store as less data as you want and as much data as you want without worrying about the disk size.
Real world Example Of Cloud Computing.
If you pay close attention, cloud computing is everywhere. Especially with the rapid growth of IoT connected smart devices, everything is connected to the cloud.
Let’s have a look on the few example which are very common in our day to day life.
- Gmail, Microsoft Office 365
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Google Photos,Google Docs,Google Drive
- YouTube,Amazon Prime Video,Netflix etc.
Use Cases Of Cloud Computing:
Based on above example we can easily say that below are some of the use cases for cloud computing.
- Audio and Video Streaming for ex Netflix
- Storage, Back Up and Recovery such as Google Photos
- Software Development and Testing
- Website hosting
- Virtual Desktop
- Internet of Things(IoT)
Who is Using Cloud Computing?
Answer to this question is quite evident:
Everyone uses cloud computing up to some extent. It includes small as well as big businesses and industries.
Cloud computing gives smaller business the opportunity to start small and scale as business grows.
Companies like Airbnb, Zoom, Slack grew massively using cloud by starting small and scaling when needed.
When Cloud Computing Became Popular?
- Cloud computing became popular around 2006 when amazon launched its Elastic Compute Cloud(Also Known as EC2).
- Ever Since, each passing day cloud computing is becoming more and more popular.
Advantage of Cloud Computing?
Each single day, companies are moving to cloud. Let’s take a look on the what makes companies choose cloud over traditional computing.
Cost Saving :
With cloud,you only pay for resources that you use.You need not invest in buying any physical server.
24 X 7 Availability :
Cloud service providers are proving 99.9% up time now as days.
Cloud Service Providers provides,a set of policies or security controls.Which in turn,helps you, strengthen your overall security.
You can store any amount of data from anywhere.And you can access them from anywhere as well.
Automated Software Update:
Cloud servers are regularly updated to recent softwares and security patches.You need not worry about updating them
You can start as small as you want and grow as big as you want.There is no limit on the data or compute service that you can use.In short you can scale infinitely.
Cloud servers are regularly upgraded to latest and most efficient computing hardwares. In turn, They provide better performance than traditional computing.
Read Advantages of Cloud Computing in Details in this post: 11 Advantages of Cloud Computing You Should Know
Disadvantage of Cloud Computing?
If you want you enjoy the perks of cloud-computing,you must have a stable internet connection. Sadly there is no workaround for this problem.
Even the best solutions in the world get technical issues. You have to depend on service provider to fix such issues.
You must trust your providers on how they store and handle your data.
In today’s fast paced world, cloud computing makes our life easier. Small businesses as well as big enterprises are moving to cloud slowly and reason is pretty clear.
As everything from smart phone to smart home are talking to cloud to operate efficiently and scaling infinitely.
We are not far away from the day when, everything including web or mobile applications will be available on the cloud.
Enjoyed the content?
Subscribe to our newsletter below to get awesome AWS learning materials delivered straight to your inbox.
Don’t forget to motivate me by-
- Adding a comment below on what you liked and what can be improved.
- Follow us on –
- Share this post with your friends
- Serverless Computing- Everything you should know
- Hello & Welcome to CloudKatha
- Basics Of Cyber Security
- Most Common Security Attacks in 2020
- How to Create an EC2 instance in an existing VPC using CloudFormation
- Attach an IAM role to an EC2 instance using CloudFormation
- Understand IAM PassRole to Secure your AWS Infrastructure
- Most Common types of Cyber Attacks in 2020
- Create DynamoDB table using CloudFormation
- How to Create S3 Bucket Policy using CloudFomation
- Provision ACM certificate using CloudFormation
- Create API Gateway Custom Domain using CloudFormation
- AWS SQS Standard vs FIFO Queue