In today’s post, I will discuss about AWS CodeStar. In addition to that, I will also discuss, how it can make your life easier as a developer or DevOps person on AWS.
To be honest, all of us as a developer or DevOps person have struggled at some point to manage our application’s development, build, deployment and overall management.
So, first of all I wanted to list out some of the issues that we face in our day to day dev activities.
In general we faced problems like :
- How to store our code and it’s versions.
- How to build the code and deploy it.
- how to manage a CI/CD pipeline easily
- How to monitor our application activities like recent code commits or deployments.
- How to track issues related to projects and commits
- How to do all of above in minimal amount of time.
Almost three year ago, I started developing application in AWS cloud. I was so much worried about how I am going to handle all my above concerns in the AWS environment being a beginner.
But, to my surprise, CodeStar made my journey to the cloud smoother then ever. As a result, I was able to deliver my first version of working application within few days only.
All thanks to CodeStar.
I know ,I know- Now you want to know more about CodeStar !!
let’s start then…
Informally If I say, CodeStar is kind of a one stop solution for all the above problem.
Moreover, for the sake of definition we will see what is CodeStar as per AWS.
What is AWS CodeStar?
AWS CodeStar is a service that helps you create, manage, and work with software development projects on Amazon Web Services.
In other words If I say, CodeStar enables you to quickly develop, build and deploy applications on AWS.
CodeStar basically wraps all the CI/CD services and brings it together under one umbrella.
So to be more precise, instead of being a new service- CodeStar brings all the existing DevOps services in AWS together and lets us handle them via a unified dashboard.
Let’s see some of the services that AWS brings under the hood to provide seamless continuous delivery.
- CodeCommit: For source code version control
- CodeBuild: To build and test your code
- CodeDeploy: To automate the deployment process
- CodePipeline: For configuring complete CI/CD pipeline
What Can We do With CodeStar(High Level)
As we got basic overview of CodeStar, therefore I am going to tell you some of the things that you can do with this amazing service 🙂
- Create New Project : With CodeStar, you can create a new project in your favorite language. You can edit the code, build and deploy on your choice of service on AWS all within few minutes.
- Manage Access for your Team : If you are a project owner, you can manage your team access from here. You can decide who can be viewer,contributor etc.
- Collaborate Effectively: You can monitor all the project activities like recent code push, build status and deployments in single dashboard.
- Quick Iteration With Required Tools: CodeStar has integrated development toolchain for the project you create .That means as soon as you push the code, your changes are automatically deployed.
AWS CodeStar Pricing
AWS CodeStar itself is a free service. However, you pay for all resources that you use. Those resources can by anything for instance compute, storage or other services. Now that’s cool 🙂
So if the pricing convinced you to try it out, have a look here to get started with CodeStar.
Features of AWS CodeStar
Now I am sure, you got an overall idea of what codestar is and why should you use it at all.
Let’s get into a bit more details and have a look on some of the prominent features provided by CodeStar.
- With AWS CodeStar you can quickly develope, build and deploy applications on AWS cloud.
- CodeStar provides many pre-built template that you can choose to get started with your project in your favorite language.
- You can use a cloud based IDE cloud 9 to edit and make changes to your code.
- You can use Eclipse or Microsoft Visual Studio as well with the CodeStar. All you need is AWS tool kit for respective IDE and you should be good to go.
- With CodeStar you can monitor you application development activities through a one stop dashboard.
- You can add project extensions like JIRA for issue tracking so that team would be better informed on what should be done next.
Types of application that you can develope with codestar
- Web application
- Web service
- Alexa Skill
- Static Website
- AWS Config Rule
And you can deploy your application into-
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk
- Amazon EC2
- AWS Lambda
Moreover, you may use aws cli to create custom projects for instance – deploy a docker container into ECS.
I created custom toolchain and sample code to create, build and deploy my docker container into ECS. It made my life easier to develop build and deploy docker container into ECS.
Language Supported by CodeStar
CodeStar does support popular programming languages such as-
- HTML 5
- Maximum of 333 projects in your aws account
- maximum 10 projects per IAM
- Maximum 100 members can belong to a single Codestar project
- Project IDs must be unique in an AWS account
In conclusion, CodeStar can be your savior when you are new to AWS environment and, you need to develop, build and deploy applications to AWS cloud quickly and easily.
You can manage access to your project for your team as per their role.You can monitor all the application activities like recent code commit or deployment etc in the central dashboard.
There are many reasons to love CodeStar. Above all, I really liked how it walks you through creating a project, making entire process very simple and straightforward.
However, I wish AWS comes up with more of customization in future.
Well, That was my take on AWS CodeStar. Do let me know If you have used it? If yes- What is your thought on CodeStar?
Would you like me to come up with a hands on post on getting started with CodeStar step by step? Do let me know in comments and I would to happy to do that for you.
Enjoyed the content?
Subscribe to our newsletter below to get awesome AWS learning materials delivered straight to your inbox.
If you liked reading my post, you can motivate me by-
- Adding a comment below on what you liked and what can be improved.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram
- Share this post with your friends and colleagues